Sunday, May 19, 2024
HomeLife StyleKing Charles news: Queen Camilla gives health update as Harry wins Mirror...

King Charles news: Queen Camilla gives health update as Harry wins Mirror payout


King doing ‘extremely well’ under circumstances, says Queen

The Queen has given a health update on the King as Prince Harry’s lawyer announced he had settled the remainder of his phone hacking claim against the Mirror publisher.

The Duke of Sussex has been awarded “substantial damages” in his case against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), which includes an interim payment towards the costs of £400,000, as he vowed his “mission continues” amid ongoing legal battles against the UK tabloid media.

The news comes shortly after Harry, 39, was seen joking with a crowd in the US, just hours after his dash to the UK to reunite with his father.

Meanwhile, Camilla was asked about Charles as she celebrated the work of charities at Salisbury Cathedral on Thursday evening in her first public engagement since her husband’s shock cancer diagnosis announcement. She replied: “He’s doing extremely well under the circumstances.”

Harry flew from Los Angeles to London on Monday evening after his father personally called him to share the health news. He was pictured on Tuesday arriving at Clarence House, where he reportedly spent under an hour with the 75-year-old monarch before returning home to California on Wednesday, having had no contact with his estranged brother Prince William.

1707490716

Recap: Piers Morgan’s scathing response to Harry’s phone hacking victory in December

Mr Morgan said in a statement that he never hacked a phone and never told anyone to do so, before launching seering attacks on Prince Harry, royal author Omid Scobie and former Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell.

Tara Cobham9 February 2024 14:58

1707487537

Harry vows his ‘mission continues’ as he pushes on with legal battles against tabloid media

The Duke of Sussex said “our mission continues” after settling his phone hacking claim against the publisher of the Daily Mirror.

Reading a statement from the duke, Harry’s barrister David Sherborne said: “As I said back in December, our mission continues.

“I believe in the positive change it will bring for all of us.

“It is the very reason why I started this, and why I will continue to see it through to the end.”

The Duke of Sussex (left) with his barrister, David Sherborne, leaving the Rolls Buildings in central London after giving evidence in the phone hacking trial against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) last year

(PA Archive)

Tara Cobham9 February 2024 14:05

1707487255

‘King Charles has given a voice to all us cancer sufferers’

After somewhat of a public reckoning with an advanced stage of prostate cancer, which forced me to miss Duran’s induction into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in November 2022, my dear friend, the music executive Merck Mercuriadis, said to me: “Try not to worry, you’ll feel differently once it’s public, your world won’t seem such a lonely place, people really do care.” He was right.

I vividly remember the day – five and a half years ago – when the results of my biopsy were revealed to me. The news was not good, within a millisecond our world turned upside down, not unlike when my father first told me of his cancer diagnosis. I could barely speak and he died aged just 67 in 2005.

In a moving letter, Andy Taylor reflects:

Tara Cobham9 February 2024 14:00

1707486853

Duke of Sussex takes swipe at Piers Morgan after reaching settlement with MGN

The Duke of Sussex has criticised Piers Morgan’s “continued attacks” against him after he reached a settlement with Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN).

In a statement read outside the High Court by his barrister David Sherborne, Harry said: “In light of this, we call again for the authorities to uphold the rule of law and to prove that no one is above it.

“That includes Mr Morgan, who as editor knew perfectly well what was going on, as the judge held.”

Mr Sherborne added: “Even his own employer realised it simply could not call him as a witness of truth at the trial.

“His contempt for the court’s ruling and his continued attacks ever since demonstrate why it was so important to obtain a clear and detailed judgment.”

The Duke of Sussex’s barrister, David Sherborne speaking to the media outside of the Rolls Building in central London

(PA)

Tara Cobham9 February 2024 13:54

1707486746

Prince Harry slams ‘shockingly dishonest’ actions of Daily Mirror

The Duke of Sussex has said his case has uncovered the “shockingly dishonest way” the Daily Mirror acted “for so many years”, after settling the remaining parts of his phone hacking claim against the paper’s publisher.

Speaking outside the High Court, Harry’s barrister David Sherborne read a statement from the duke: “After our victory in December, Mirror Group have finally conceded the rest of my claim which would have consisted of another two trials, additional evidence, and 115 more articles.

“Everything we said was happening at Mirror Group was in fact happening, and indeed, far worse, as the court ruled in an extremely damaging judgment.

“As the judge has said only this morning, we have uncovered and proved the shockingly dishonest way in which the Mirror acted for so many years, and then sought to conceal the truth.”

Tara Cobham9 February 2024 13:52

1707485455

What is Sandringham? Where King is recovering after cancer treatment

After receiving his first cancer treatment, King Charles III has taken up residence at Sandringham House, which is located along the North Sea coast of eastern England.

Earlier this week, the King was flown by helicopter to Sandringham, after appearing in good spirits as he smiled and waved to the gathered crowds as he left Clarence House in central London. He is understood to have boarded a helicopter with wife Queen Camilla from Buckingham Palace.

Tara Cobham9 February 2024 13:30

1707484033

Watch live: Prince Harry’s lawyer expected to make statement after settling MGN claim

Holly Evans9 February 2024 13:07

1707483773

MGN to pay ‘substantial additional sum’ in damages to Prince Harry

David Sherborne, for the Duke of Sussex, said Mirror Group Newspapers will pay Harry “a substantial additional sum by way of damages” as well as his legal costs.

The barrister said this included an interim payment towards the costs of £400,000.

After it was announced, an MGN spokesperson said: “We are pleased to have reached this agreement, which gives our business further clarity to move forward from events that took place many years ago and for which we have apologised.”

Holly Evans9 February 2024 13:02

1707483655

Watch: Anne receives words of support for King and Kate during pony centre visit

Anne receives words of support for King and Kate during pony centre visit

Tara Cobham9 February 2024 13:00

1707483129

Prince Harry settles phone hacking case with Mirror publisher

The Duke of Sussex has settled the remaining parts of his phone hacking claim against Mirror Group Newspapers.

Following a trial last June, in which the duke became the first royal to step inside the witness box, the judge found that 15 out of 33 articles under consideration had been the product of unlawful information gathering.

Read the full article here:

Holly Evans9 February 2024 12:52



Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments